On Wednesday, I was in my living room playing with the kids and Caleb decided he was going to go get himself an orange. Mind you, it's nothing new for Caleb to go into the refrigerator alone and get out food that he wants, so there was nothing unusual that I suspected. Something told me to check up on him, so I went into the kitchen and just as I did, I could see him on the counter slicing his orange with an "adult" knife and aparently since the orange is round, it slipped and sliced down his finger. I tried to control the bleeding, but doctor mom just wasn't doing the trick. I tried to get a hold of Rey at work but he wasn't answering his phone...meanwhile, even if he did answer, I probably wouldn't have heard him because Caleb was screaming so loud. Next I called the neighbor next door to see if she could watch Logan and Jonah while I took Caleb in. Luckily Bonnie (one of our regular babysitters) came over immediately and off we went.
By the time we got there, Caleb's paper towel was completely bloody and of course the staff knew immediately that this was an emergency. They got us right in and Caleb was not too happy. He didn't want them to take off the bandage or do anything. They wrapped a warm blanket around him, not only to calm him down, but to keep him from moving. I was up by his head just talking to him and trying to calm him down because I knew very well when they numbed it, the shot was going to hurt. He did quite well with the whole ordeal. The nurses kept promising him popsicles as soon as the doctor was done and he got a purple one.
Afterwards he was kind of proud to show his "oowie" to everyone but he still screams when I take off the wrap to change the dressing. I think everytime he sees the stitches it reminds him of the doctor. Poor guy...Rey drew a "monster" on one of the bandages so Caleb went around scaring people with his finger. It was very cute. Here is a picture (sorry it's not very clear, but I had limited time while he was screaming to take it.) of his finger.
0 comments:
Post a Comment